Preparing for your puppy
Congratulations! Well now that you have decided to add a furry family to your house here are some things you can do to prepare your home for your furry bundle of love.
Puppy proofing your home - Australian Labradoodle puppies are very smart and have a great sense of smell thus, you will need to keep a careful watch on what they find to put in their mouths. Here is a list of items to be sure are not anywhere accessible to your puppy/dog.
- Home insect products
- Anti-inflammatory medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc)
- Acetaminophen Sugarless chewing gum - the artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs
- Any prescription medications
- Fabric softener sheets
- Laundry detergent packets
- Dishwashing detergent powder and packets
- Pencils and pens
- Lighter fluid
- Tobacco products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cat litter box and other animal feces
- Cat food
- Disinfectants and bleach
Here are some human foods that are harmful:
- Grapes and raisins
- Avocados, onions, garlic
- Chocolate in all forms
- Gum, candy, or foods sweetened with xylitol
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Raw yeast dough
Some objects that you should be sure are up and out of reach:
- Buttons and any small hard objects i.e. nails, needles, scissors etc
- Bread twisty ties and plastic wrap
- Balls that are too small, or have a smooth coating
- Cotton swabs, dental floss, string, yarn
- Human hair ties, hair pins and rubber bands
- Ear plugs
Comfort & Safety items
- Wire crate - appropriate size 30” minis, 36” mediums, 42” standards. We recommend getting one that has a divider so it can grow with your puppy as a full grown crate can invite puppy accidents.
- Crate pad/liner - washable in machine
- Puppy play pen
- Adult collar/harness and leash (we send home puppy/collar/leash). We recommend the martingale collar (we like our Rogz gear) for training as well as the easy walker harness.
- Car seat harness (crash tested is best) if you plan to travel with your puppy outside of its crate. Please ensure that you secure your puppy's crate with tie down straps if this is the method you plan to transport your furry family member. It ensures your puppy and family are safe in the vehicle should an accident occur.
- ID tag
- Vet approved flea & tick treatment (more for May-September months but good to have the discussion and be prepared). Heart guard is also good to use on a monthly basis and your vet will be able to provide you with this based on your puppy/dogs weight.
- Puppy food - Your puppy will be feed either Now, Go or Acana all life stages since started on solids. Please ask us what they currently are on. We suggest continuing feeding these great foods. Your puppy will come with a 3 day supply. If you choose to feed a different food please do make the transition gradually as to not upset the digestive system of your puppy. It's also important to vary the protein sources every couple of months. Please stay away from wheat based dog food as we have found overtime there can be yeast built up from your puppy trying to digest it.
- Food & water bowls
- Food scoop & storage bin
Necessary Grooming Supplies
- Stainless Grooming Comb
- Nail clippers
- Ear wash/cleaner
- Blunt edge scissors (for trimming around the eyes)
- A copy of our routine to get you started
- Natures Miracle stain and odor remover (for accidents)
- Pooper scooper
- Waste bags for public places
- Paper towels for quick clean ups
Toys & More
Chew and cuddle toys - squeaky (always a favorite for our dogs), bouncy, soft, some plush, hard chewy like Kong. We suggest buying a variety to start with so you can find out which ones your puppy prefers!
Fetch toys - tennis balls, jolly ball etc.
Chew treats - bully sticks, chicken strips, sweet potato chews, elk antlers are great for the marrow and little puppy teeth, etc.
NO RAWHIDES! They are dangerous for both puppies and dogs. They can be ingested and it may cause an intestinal blockage.
Bitter Apple is also great to help deter puppies from chewing on things they should not chew.
Trupanion Pet Insurance and Bow Valley have come together to offer you and your puppy the first 30 days of your puppy’s time home with you to be covered under their amazing insurance plan completely free of charge for you! We will supply you with paperwork from Trupanion that comes with your puppy when you pick up and all you have to do is give them a call at 855.266.2156 within 24 hours of picking up your puppy to start your 30 days of insurance for free. You do not need to supply them with any payment information. It is time sensitive so please bring your attention to this in the allotted time, we strongly urge you to sign up for this completely free program.